Thursday, April 2, 2015

Out of the Hospital

Dan has been progressing every day more than we expect.  Dan got discharged from the hospital on Tuesday late morning!  It's kind of funny to me, because on Monday when Dan was in the hospital, he said he would need something or someone to hang onto while walking places once we got home (to my parents house).  So I went home and brainstormed with my parents, and people from my mom's ward generously let us borrow a wheel chair so we could wheel Dan down the yard around to the back and into the basement of the house so Dan wouldn't have to use the stairs in the house.  And someone else let us borrow a walker that he could use in case I couldn't be right there when he needed to get up.

Well, to my surprise, when I went to pick Dan up at the hospital on Tuesday, we was walking without anything and quicker around the hospital halls!  The Physical Therapist even had him walk up a few stairs before going home. What?! He was doing great.  When we arrived at my parent's house, he didn't listen to me to stay in the car, he got out walking to the back of the house, into the house and got in bed.  At least the kids have been having fun with the wheel chair.   Dan has used the walker once or twice, to help him change clothes, but walks around without assistance.  Tuesday was a happy day getting out of the hospital.  He shaved, and would go to his bed for a nap, and come back to the family room when he was awake.  Dan also started introducing some food into his body, like fat free pringles, crackers, and cottage cheese.  It really wasn't much food though, he is not hungry after taking a few bites at a time.

Wednesday, Dan was a little bit down, one reason was he experienced hiccups that was understandably painful for him.  But I think he was maybe more sore from all the movement he's been making.  He still does many things on his own, it's amazing.  He tried a little more food and more of a variety like green smoothie, raspberries, a fourth of a turkey and cheese sandwich, and broth.  Again, he eats so little, but more than the day before.  I told Dan that I'd eat with him on his low fat diet, well I had been going stir crazy for a couple of days with no junk in my parents' house, that I cooked up some frozen cookie dough upstairs.  I ate my cookie immediately, when Dan surprises all of us by his walking up the stairs to catch me eating that cookie!  Caught red handed.  But, what was he doing anyway tackling the stairs, haha?!  The kids love to be around him again!  Cami expects him to pick her up but she is okay also with Dan just rubbing the top of her head or holding her hand for a moment.  She just is so delighted to see her dad!  The other kids love it too, and are helpful to keep toys out of the way so Dad can walk easier and especially Trey is helpful when I need him to play with Cami while I clean up, get Dan something, or simply want to go to the bathroom.

Today has been a rough day all day long for Dan.  First of all, he had really bad hallucinations all night long, from the medications, and woke up many times not knowing where he was or what was going on.  The dreams were bad too, and he was just pretty upset this morning with how the night went.  He didn't want to take the oxycodone anymore, but didn't know if just Tylenol would work and keep his pain down.  Secondly, his insides were feeling weird and it felt more painful, like they were moving around in there not knowing where to settle.  A couple of people said they felt the same thing when they had other surgeries, like as if the insides were swollen before, and when the swelling went down, the insides would move around whenever you do.  Dan is in more pain today getting up to move, so he is trying to stay down more.  I don't know if he feels this way, but from the cringe on his face, I have not seen him in more pain then today.  T.V. is a good distraction, and he must take that oxycodone and tylenol every 4 hours.  He asked me to buy him a warming pad to place where it hurts.  We know that there will be many better days, and sometimes, days that are just more difficult with this healing process.  The first time I saw Dan smile today was when he received a letter from Nolan, our nephew, that said to get well soon! Thanks Nolan, you made his day brighter!  Also, Dan's Aunt Myrna came by tonight and we had a lovely visit with her!  She was so sweet to bring cookies and jello jigglers, which is something Dan can eat!  He has eaten a little more again today, so that is progress.  He is trying his best to get more nutrients for his healing and to give him strength.  He has had green smoothies, finished his turkey sandwich, yogurt, berries, cucumbers and gatorade.  I hope he sleeps better tonight!

My parents have been so awesome to help with the kids this entire time, I couldn't do it without them! I can't even imagine.  The kids are planning to spend the weekend with their Grandma Hymas to give me and my parent's a break, and they are excited!  We are grateful to our family and friends, my friend Whitney also took most of my kids on the surgery day for a play date at her house. Thanks everyone!

Rachelle

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much. I know that pain medicine gives me terrible dreams. Hang in there. We are praying for you. The Orduno family.

    ReplyDelete